Pages

Monday, June 28, 2010

Stuffed Bell Peppers & a new Camera!

My new camera came in the mail today! It was the one thing I felt I was missing in "blogging", and now that I've got it, I can effectively photograph meals for you, my dear readers. So today, in honor of this new acquisition, I have created a delicious, low-cal stuffed bell pepper dinner. Nom. Nom.


The players:
2 red bell peppers
1/2 lb. stew beef
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tbs. chopped fresh oregano
4 cloves of garlic
1 tsp. paprika

salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup cooked brown rice
1 cup kale
2 spring onions 2 tsp. olive oil, divided
1 tbs. chopped fresh rosemary
2 tsp. grated parmesan

First things first, you want to marinate your stew beef. I started this last night before bed. In a plastic baggie I mixed the garlic, paprika, oregano, and lemon juice, then threw in my stew beef and coated it well. Popped that in the fridge for some overnight marinatin'. The next morning, I threw the mixture into my trusty ol' crockpot, with a 1/2 cup of water to break it down, set it to low, went to work and let it do its thing. I loves - LOVES - my crockpot. It is my favorite magical device. Mom never used one growing up, so I never really knew the joys of crockpot cooking until I bought my own a few months ago, in anticipation of making a sweet-ass mole. Well.. I haven't made mole yet.. but I've made a ton of BBQ in that thing, and it's AWESOME. BACK TO THE DINNERS!

After getting home from work, I drained the water/fats from the beef, and shredded it up using a fork. I added my cooked brown rice to this, and then sauteed my kale, a clove of garlic, and some spring onions in 1 tsp. of olive oil, and tossed 'em in. Mixed it all up with a tbs. of chopped fresh rosemary to kick up the flavor. I then loaded my red bell peppers with the mixture, threw a little parmesan on top, and a drizzle of olive oil on that. I then wrapped my dish with foil and popped it into a 400F oven for 15 minutes. At the 15 minute mark, I removed the foil to let the cheese crisp up.


For a side, I steamed some farmer's market haricots vert, and yellow zucchini. A little salt, a crack of pepper.. so good! This was a big hit for me and Rick. Good good times. And lookit how purdy!!!



Calories: 484, Fat: 14.6g, Sodium: 52g
, Fiber: 8.3g, Sugar: 5.7g, Protein: 32.8g

-A&R

2 comments:

  1. Sounds out of this world tasty! Just curious...how do you calculate the nutritional information?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use this website - http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php

    you enter in all of the ingredients used, and it gives you a calorie count for the meal.

    ReplyDelete